Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mothers Day, Mother Julian and Mother Church

"And so I saw that God rejoices that he is our Father, and God rejoices that he is our Mother, and God rejoices that he is our true spouse, and that our soul is his beloved wife. And Christ rejoices that he is our brother, and Jesus rejoices that he is our savior."
Dame Julian of Norwich,
Revelations of Divine Love



I post this because of the coincidence of three observances: Mother's Day, the Feast of Pentecost and the lesser feast of Julian of Norwich.
I think it says something important about the motherhood of God. It seems appropriate as we observe both the secular celebration of Mothers Day and the sacred birthday of our Mother the Church.

1 comment:

Country Parson said...

Thanks for posting this. If I can remember that far out, I would like to consider some of Dame Julian's wisdom for next Mothers' Day, assuming it falls on a Sunday where there is some possibility of mentioning it.
CP