Friday, October 31, 2008

Real conservatives don't lie

I've previously made the distinction between conservatives (those who, by conviction or inclination are opposed to certain types of change) and "conservatives" (those who mask hatred and bigotry with credible-seeming sound bites).

I used to think Elizabeth Dole was one of the former.

Boy, was I ever wrong.

Turns out that Elizabeth Dole is just another lying, fearmongering bigot who will say anything and do anything to get elected.

Here is a CNN commentary on the single most vile and disgusting ad of the entire US election campaign to date.



Nice, eh.

Why is it that "conservatives" have to lie everytime they say anything?

It's the same as the ongoing crap we see from so many realigners, claiming that Episcopalians in the US and Anglicans in Canada don't believe in Jesus, don't believe in the resurrection, don't believe in sin. Oh, and we're oppressing those liars by refusing to let them steal the silver on the way out the door.

Lies.

And the technical term in moral theology to describe a person who lies is "liar."

I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Here's what the Charlotte Observer had to say:
“This is indecent. It is the modern-day version of the “white hands” ad, a lie born of Dole’s desperation in a race in which she has trailed for weeks. It is also a deliberate attempt by Dole’s campaign not just to distort the truth, but to shatter Hagan’s admirable record as an elder for more than a decade in Greensboro’s First Presbyterian Church, as a Sunday School teacher and a volunteer in her church’s fundraising campaigns, worship services and community service programs… It has no place in N.C. politics. Unless she admits this egregious, shameful mistake and acts appropriately, Elizabeth Dole has no place in N.C. politics, either.”

Here's the Fayetteville Observer:
The polls show she’s trailing Hagan, and she’s dipping into her own pocket to support her campaign. But jumping into the deep end of the slime pool is no way to catch up.”

The Greensboro News-Record called it "worse than dishonest," "a low blow" and "beyond the bounds."

Here's Kay Hagan's response.

Note the telling piece of scripture she refers to at the end.



I hope Elizabeth Dole pays an immediate price for her disgusting lies.

Of course, there is no possible way the humiliation of an electoral defeat can equal the way Elizabeth Dole has humiliated herself with this vile piece of filth.

3 comments:

00 said...

"It's the same as the ongoing crap we see from so many realigners, claiming that Episcopalians in the US and Anglicans in Canada don't believe in Jesus, don't believe in the resurrection, don't believe in sin. Oh, and we're oppressing those liars by refusing to let them steal the silver on the way out the door."

I used to be one of those ppl that believed that (and at times said it). Not b/c I was trying to lie, but b/c I honestly thought that all Episcopalians in the US and Anglicans in Canada really believed that (or, at least the vast majority). I believed that b/c I had limited experience with Anglicans, and my very limited experience was that of people that called themselves Christians, but never talked of their orthodox Christian beliefs (assuming that they actually held them).

Anyway...I say all of that to say that in the past, oh, perhaps year, I've learned that not all assumptions that I held about Anglicans were correct, and I've been very glad to find that out :)

Country Parson said...

I offered a comment on my own most recent blog post and I'll make the same comment here.

I suggest that we all take a few minutes to prayerfully meditate on two readings from scripture:
Ecclesiasticus 28:14-26
Psalm 55
Then each of us make our confession and meditate for several minutes more on the Beatitudes, the ones that will be read in many churches this very Sunday.
CP

Paul said...

I think it is way past time to call lies what they are: lies.

No matter who utters them.