Monday, March 16, 2009

The darkness comes

Unlike a lot of those affected, I'd seen it coming for weeks beforehand. Not to mention that I have other sources of income - at least somewhat scalable - as well as identity.

The net effect was that I did not experience the immediate and crushing sense of depression a lot of the others did. The outplacement lady said I was doing "eerily well."

But I always knew there would be days. I realize that mine started a couple of days ago, but I only really noticed it last night. Today, I am awash in it.

I would do well to remember this:

And this word: Thou shalt not be overcome, was said full clearly and full mightily, for assuredness and comfort against all tribulations that may come. He said not: Thou shalt not be tempested, thou shalt not be travailed, thou shalt not be afflicted; but He said: Thou shalt not be overcome.

- Julian of Norwich

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.

Paul said...

As one born on Dame Julian's feast, I prayer her blessings on you, and holy angels to guide, guard, and defend you.